23 January 2010

Ezekiel Honig & Morgan Packard - Morning Migration (2005)


Morning migration by Ezekiel Honig & Morgan Packard is a really quiet record. I sit at my parent's house on a day of glistering sunshine and listen to it and the sounds blend in with bad tv on too loud volume, the lumbering of dishes and rustling newspapers. Lots of artists make this kind of music. Even though Honig & Packard's album is not revolutionary in any sense, it is a small gem of slow-pacing, wintry exploration of hushed electronic music bordering on ambient. This music takes me places but I don't know exactly where. There's the dreamy droning on "billow", the repetation of a phrase (on a gorgeous-sounding synthesized trumpet) played on "White on white", the rhodes melody of "Planting broken branches pt. 1" and the hypnotically pulsating sounds of "a take of suggestions pt. 2".

I like this record because it is not flashy, it is not overly melancholy, or overly anything. That doesn't mean the music is bland or full of compromises. It's not music that grabs you by the hair. It reveals itself if you pay close attention to it. And for me that took a while, but that's how it is (with me).
It's a stupid reference born out of the name of one track, but this could be what suprematist music could sound like. White on white.

No comments: