9 September 2009

Lasse Marhaug - The Shape of Rock to Come (2004)


I hope it is Lasse Marhaug, rather than The Kooks or some other boring Brittish indie band, who has delineated the shape of rock to come. The record starts with a few rhytmic pulsating sounds. You don't know what you are in for. The rest is a wall of wailing noise along with some (not many) more rhytmic sections. Strangely addictive, however - perhaps even seductive, this album is, a surge of sounds get a hold on me. I get used to the harsh intensity of the music; the sounds grow into the walls of the room. Through what first appears to be a monotonous mountain of sound, details are gradually discernible. What is interesting about The shape of rock to come is that I can't make up my mind as to what kind of atmosphere it builds up, even though it would be, on a shallow level, tempting to say that it is "menacing" or "aggressive". I've noticed that I hear different moods every time I listen to it. It's music that calls one back to imagination, which is a good thing. Somebody may say that noise music has nothing to do with moods but I'm not sure what that would mean.
Today, I fell asleep into track 4 and woke up during track 5. I felt weird. (The 'singing' towards the end is an amazing way to fuse what sounds like guitar distortion that has been going on for a few minutes with something unexpected, the record ends with a shock.)
(thanks H for lending me the album in the first place.)
While I'm at it, I switch to Ornette Coleman's The shape of jazz to come. It is good, but totally different, of course.

2 comments:

h. said...

Ornette Coleman: "Shape of Jazz to Come" + Lasse Marhaug: "Shape of Rock to Come" = Peter Brötzmann: "Machine Gun"

M. Lindman said...

OK, måste lyssna. Av Brötzmann har jag bara hört en mycket senare skiva, Born broke, med en estnisk trummis. Ganska fantastisk. Det säger redan sångtitlarna. "Dead and useless", "born broke", "beautiful but stupid" och "Ain't got the money". Rekommenderas.