4 August 2009

on writing

At the moment, I write for a living. Some fools pay me money to do that, which I, from time to time, find amusing and a bit scary. A thesis. In philosophy. It is faaaaar from ready. I have loads and loads of work to do and some things I haven't even started. Most of the time, I amble and ramble (did that rhyme? Yes it did.).
Lately, I've been thinking about style. About the aims & intentions I have in my writing (and thinking). How I get insecure about what these aims are - exactly. I am reading one of my texts to make revisions on it, slaughter the darlings, the trolls and other necessary things. Every now and again, I have a strange reaction to the text. I don't recognize the voice. There are chunks of texts so contorted by academic standards that I hardly recognize myself in them. Or, should I say: I see a misfired attempt to write Conventional Thesis.
It's a telling fact that the best bit in the text is a bullshit footnote about the crazy psychologist in Riget, Pigernes Ole. In that footnote I have managed to write something I can live with, stylistically. The rest of the text - full of formal expressions, abstractions and petty excuses. Many expressions show that I am simply not too sure what I want to say. "In a certain sense..." In WHAT god damn sense? And is that even English? I DON'T KNOW!! But the writingmachine keeps writing it.
I don't know where those expressions I churn out almost mechanically even come from. Do they inhabit a planet of their own, attacking my writing from there? Extraterrestrial terrorists? Perhaps. Possibly.
"A focal point of critique"....what? Do I have to write like that? I don't fucking want to. It's bad. It's fluff. I hate fluff. I hate fluff in novels. I hate fluff in academic writing. So why do I write sentence after sentence of pointless fluff? Many reasons: too scared to take a more rigid style. That sounds like a paradox, I know, 'cause we tend to think that rigid thinking and style follows a scientific blueprint. Another reason: too lazy. Another: need to decide what I want to say. Need to think harder. Cut the crap. Get to the essentials. The problem is I can only know what I want to say by a shitload of exploration of writing. The hard task is to go about the revisioning of these wanderings with a stern, stern hand. ("The bloody hard road" etc.)
Another thing is English. I still have lots and lots of work to do to write decent English. I mean English sentences not abundant with grammatical and idiomatical mistakes. - That is one reason why I keep this horrendous blob, sorry, blog. This problem makes me even more aware of my stylistic insecurities. When I write in English, I tend to imitate a particular style, rather than write in a style that suits what I want to say. E.g.: I try the more complicated word just to show off a little. The result: the text become moronic, me not even noticing it because I am too obsessed with writing "nice". And, you know, I imitate what comes most natural to me. "The wittgensteinians". I start a sentence, "there is no general...." and then I gag, unable to finish it. I start another sentence, "We tend to think that..." then luckily I come to think of my stern friend Y, We-hater Y ("who ARE "we"????) and I proceed to push the dear old DELETE-button.
Hello, blank screen. Misery/misery/micery.
But what scares me most is that I'll write a thesis in which the thinking could be shipped straight off to the graveyard (dig&dig fast). To be honest, how many philosophers have you read whose texts have really preserved the liveliness of thinking? A few. The best. Not many.
This scares the shit out of me, it really does. Sometimes it scares me so much that I don't even feel like writing at all. Like: I don't want to burp all of this text-crap. Like: I really have to make an effort but it is immensly laborious. The truth: self-obsession is the worst enemy of writing.

PS: I am NOT talking about style in the sense that I want to prop up a boring argument with elegant style. I just want to write what I mean without taking refuge in scientific nonsense-language or linguistic doodle. But as Malcolm Tucker in the brilliant Brittish TV-series The Thick of it would have it: "YER ON YER OOUN" (yelled in coarse Scottish accent).

2 comments:

ponks said...

haha, sant det där "in a certain sence" vad för en slags sence menar man egentligen då, int vet jag. egentligen skulle det vara roligt om nån hade fäst extra uppmärksamhet vid det här "på ett sätt" - "in a certain sence this coffee-brewer is good, and I mean this god damned sence; it warms the water before it goes up in steam" ok, exemplet var nu inte det bästa, men u see.
skrivandet när det är meningen att man ska komma fram till någo är nog säkert som gjort för att driva en till vansinne, men dom betalar nog dig för att skriva för att du vet något så när vad du gör. och det galna med att tvivla på sig själv, är ju det att man då har nån slags självinsikt och -kritik, vilket gör en bra på vad man gör.
lycka till!

M. Lindman said...

hehe. på vår inst har "i en viss bemärkelse" kommit att få en närmast magisk innebörd. (det är som man har sagt en massa subtilt utan att säga riktigt vad.) Men jag tror det börjar försvinna nu, men jag har tyvärr fortfarande det här uttrycket som en språklig tic och that bugs me. A lot.
hoppas det är som du säger med självinsikt etc., men tyvärr är jag lite pessimistisk... Jag tycker att hur jävla mycket jag än kan störa mig på hur jag skriver, så alltjämt blir det samma smörja när jag skriver nästa sak.
Meh.