5 August 2009

Six feet under


I'm watching re-runs of Six feet under on TV. I can't believe how good that show is. I can watch almost all episodes over and over again, only to be positively baffled by how good some scenes are. Every single scene with Mrs. Fischer is perfectly glowing. She is glowing. Many of the Ruth-scenes end in silence. The camera focuses on her face. Or the room. On the surface, nothing really dramatic has happened, but what the series so ingeniously captures is those moments of silent rage, silent disappointment or silent reconciliation. Some complain that there's too much plot in Six feet under. Yeah, maybe that's right. But, for me, what has continued to move me in it are the small, awkward moments. But on the other hand, I always get mad at those who say that Six feet under is all about "quirky characters". Maybe it was in the first season or so, but it became more serious as time went by.
To be honest, I've never seen an actor as good as Frances Conroy who plays Ruth. In a small, small scene, she expresses a complete spectrum of emotions, a history of repressed feelings, lost hopes. Ruth mopping the floor, Ruth peeking into a room, Ruth wondering where everybody's at. And it was brilliant how she, and the rest of the characters as well, kept changing as she was thrown into new situations. Boy, I wish there were more actors like Frances Conroy!

No comments: