17 February 2009

Chromatics: Night Drive (2007)


I'm working late. I'm brewing a huge pot of coffee while waiting for some inspiration. No album could be more perfect for this occasion than Night Drive, the only disco album I've ever liked (ok, so don't even ask me what Italo disco is, cause I don't know, I just googled that giorgio moroder guy). But it's a special brand of disco. Slow, minimal, punk-ish - drug-induced. The title, Night drive is very appropriate. Those monochrome synth loops chew asphalt & have the shimmer of seedy neon lights. You might think a lot of stuff upon hearing the word 'disco', but in this case, most of it is wrong. Still, the disco feel is there. Ambient disco might be an apt description for what some of the tracks sound like. During the last few years, indie music has been flooded by hip kids making dance music with a post-punk agenda. This is too slow and too monotonous to fit into that scene. Or maybe House of jealous lovers - era Rapture is a point of reference somehow ("I want your love" certainly reminds me of Rapture). Night drive shares some of the eerie darkness of The Knife's Silent shout. They have the minimalist synths in common, too. The vocals of Ruth Radelet veer from sweet to threatening to enigmatic. Beautiful stuff.

No comments: