5 April 2008

Misreading of the day

"Nu får hela Esbo gudvittring"

I was, seriously, pondering on that headline quite a few minutes before I realized - guldvittring. I was absorbed in the image of Esbo being taken over by religious frenzy; a bit like the zombie movie 28 days later, or something to that effect; people running around, looking for god. 'Gudvittring' sounds much more fun, and much more spectacular, than the Finnish ice-hockey league. I wonder what the most elegant English translation of 'gudvittring' would be... "A scent of god"? Hmmm. There must be another, more exact, translation of "vittring". A word for smelling something, and out of this, deriving information about the existence/proximity/probability of something. "Vittring" is a good word.

My head is filled with trash.

No comments: