16 March 2008

Ricochets - the ghost of our love



I was introduced to Ricochets when I saw them live at Roskilde one summer a few years ago. The concert was great. The audience went crazy; people threw beer pints at each other and sang along with the lyrics. After that, I bought The ghost of our love. I return to it now and then, and I haven't got tired of it yet. If the music and lyrics were just a tad bit different, I am sure I would hate it. I would reject it as the worst and most sentimental kind of machismo self-pity combined with a traditional approach to rock. Well, the lyrics do express self-pity, but somehow the excessive way these dark tales are told makes me less prone to, you know, react with disgust. And, true, the music is quite traditional. But I don't care - the record is fucking brilliant. It's one of the very few straightforward rock n' roll albums I actually like.

No comments: