11 March 2008

(((())))

I have a sore back. I can't bend forward and that means I cannot even read. Goddamn. I should finish The Human Condition soon. I'm puzzled by it. Some of her distinctions are interesting (that between 'work' and 'labor', for example), but I still have the feeling that they are somehow off the mark. I like Arendt's style, though. The book is very clearly written (I expected something much more like Heidegger).
Instead of working, I am lying in bed, gazing into a patch of sunlight on the wall, listening to Fake books by Lali puna (shit, it's great) and thinking about pointless things such as what I'm gonna have for dinner and why I haven't talked to a particular friend for a long time.
Today I've learnt how to write an academic CV. What is considered a great accomplishment, and what is not. Most of what I've done fits into the "not" section. I've lost almost all interest in going to conferences, for example. It's on occasions like this that I'm wondering what the hell I am doing in this "business". But don't get me wrong, it's good that we (doctoral students) are offered practical information about how to write CV:s and that kind of stuff.
I need to read stuff and think about stuff. Have something to say.
I want to complain and complain.

No comments: