20 October 2008

Academic work ii

My text has started to live a life of its own. It grows furiously. It has got four heads and one tail (many tales). Yellow slime is dripping from its nose. Its belly is filled with rottening fish. That has to do with its digestion. Very slow. Don't feed it rotten fish, don't feed it slow-digested food. It's stomach will explode. It goes where it wants and it does what it has to. If I kill a darling, another one will appear in its place. Darlings appear in ever-increasing numbers. Replicants, mutants, zombies, ghosts. Doppelgängers in herds. They never die. They prowl the screen and breath in my ear. Yeah, don't forget me, we're still here. This is what you thought, hang on to me. They prey on each other, they prey on me, they prey on space. A thundering voice in my head. The voice is not mine. "Don't fiddle with the economy! Don't fiddle with the economy!" And two years later, I'm dappling with the economy, the economies, the eco-nomy. It growls like a bear. Don't wake it up. It's sleeping text, donthcha see? It's sleeping.

No comments: