16 September 2008

worst song Ever made (or "how silver-haired emptyflow learns stuff about pop culture")

I'm trawling the dagens skiva forum every once in a while. It's fun. There's always vendettas and trolls and what not, and in between, some music discussions. At the moment, there's this "worst song ever made" thread counting down. Ulf Lundell, Van Halen, Meat loaf, Per Gessle, Michael Bolton. Fucking Trance dance! (Do you remember them?) The dark side of our unconscious - I'm starting to think processes here, actually - discloses its seedy secrets.

What can beat that kind of music in terms of repulsiveness? Yes. One of the posters actually has an answer to that fundamental-ontological question. The answer is "I kissed a girl" by Katy Perry, a pretty contemporary track, I reckon. I wasn't familiar with it from before, so I googled the song, and the concept of the male gaze has never taken on such a concrete meaning as I watched the video (oh, well, half of it). The lyrical badness - or what is your verdict on, I quote, "I kissed a girl just to try it/I hope my boyfriend don't mind it [...] No, I don't even know your name/It doesn't matter/You're my experimental game/Just human nature/It's not what, good girls do/Not how they should/behave/My head gets so confused/Hard to obey? (Is this song popular? I hope not. I don't know about these things.) I can see it in my head. Professional "song writer" (Max Martin style), 35++, interests: "art & design & cooking (= fast cars and girls)", sitting in his glass & steel, designer, § 1,0000000000000000000 office, distractedly looking out the window, thinking, "hmm....I have a contract with these guys....I have to come up with something pretty soon.... Hey! I'm gonna write a song about a girl who.....kisses a GIRL! Nnn---iiice. Jimbo will dig this, he will." He has forgotten his cocaine & his voodoo dollz & a yellow mouse called Gerald at home that day, so the result is not quite as ingenious as what the potentiality of his artistic abilities might someday trigger him to create. Maybe, someday, aided by the grace of our Lord, he will write a new "Baby this is teh key to my heart". Good luck.

What is it with kids today?? When I was young, our radios and cassette players were blasting.....Trance dance...."You're gonna get it". And Van Halen (David Lee Roth's bikini girls). And later on, Haddaway and Meat Loaf. But I actually prefer bombastic "I'd to anything for love" or the straightforward moronic "NoNoNoNo, There's no limit!" a million times to "I kiss a girl, is that Ok for my boyfriend??? I am such a baaad girl." On wikipedia, I learn that this songs, along with another, called - bear with me - "U'r so gay" - has roused some attention for being homophobic.

I know it's cheap to snigger derisively at things in this way - haven't I got anything more substantial to say? (= no) - but this shit makes me mad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I kissed a girl" is, of course, a hit on steel.fm (the VL-radio station)

U.