20 September 2008

Low

Sometimes during the winter 2000, I read about Low on All music guide. Strangely, one of the songs I got hold of on Napster (the good old days!), was a cover of Transmission. You might think the two bands do not have much in common, the first standing for everything that is quiet and serene, at least that was how the band was depicted before their last three album, and the other being raw and punk. But if you listen to the music of Low and Joy division, you will notice how their music sometimes converge in a raw, cavernous desperation that is expressed both in music and in the lyrics. Low has also done a lot of other covers. Listen to "I started a joke", "Surfer girl" and - Low goes AOR heroes - "Open arms"! All of these are to be found on the 3 record box A lifetime of temporary relief.

The first albums by Low were quite monotonous, the songs were often stripped down to drums, voice and droning guitar patterns. I also listened to another songs by Low at that period. It is actually a Christmas song. Low once made a Christmas ep but I haven't heard it in its enteriety to this day. Too scared of the concept, I guess. The song I listened to was "Long way around the sea". I liked it, my sister didn't. That song is not the only one in which Low approaches religious themes. They do it often, and it is dealt with in a way that has, I guess, only become more multifaceted by the years (not to say that their lyrics were, in any sense, straightforward "christian rock" in the early days - not at all).

Gradually, Low has created a much more melodic, and even rockier, sound. I am ambivalent to that development. That said, I do like all their albums, without exception. But my favorite records by Low mostly feature quiet material; Trust, Things we lost in the fire and I could live in hope. The 10 year old anniversary of the latter album was celebrated with a tribute album (imagine!) which has on it songs by several albums that I like (Mark Kozelek, altcountry band Pale horse & rider and Spanish slowcorers Migala). The tribute album is not only for those listeners who already know the entire Low ouevre. It has merits of its own. Great ones. Talking about bands affiliated with Low, I also want to praise the collaboration between Low and Dirty three on "In the fishtank".

For the moment, "Alone", from Long division. What a great song! "if I could get you alone/
would you take me back home?/ you remind me that I'm weak/you remind me I can fly/
you remind me I can't read/you remind me so I try."

I hope Low will visit Finland again. The only time they've been here, I had broken my foot and could not attend. I am very disappointed of having missed that opportunity.

No comments: