9 August 2008

intention and action

When one expresses what one intends to do, the seriousness with which the intentions were confessed is judged on the basis of one's actions. If I'm never doing what I say I intend to do, people will start to have doubts about the things I say. For the other, my intentions will soon start to evaporate, if my words are not accompanied by actions. Intentions are not an inner "force". We have to apply a first & third person perspective on intentions. I do not have the exclusive right to decide whether my words are seriously meant, or not. You might know me better than I do (that's one reason why "decision" and "intention" are not always used in the same way). Contrary to what many philosophers say, the relation between intentions and actions is not very difficult to understand. You look at me, and it is clear to you that I intend to leave soon (maybe you witness my increasing unease with the people we are socializing with). Nothing special hangs on the word, to "intend". You see I am about to leave. "Are you about to leave, are you not enjoying yourself?" "Yes, yes. I'm fine." I lie, and you know me good enough to see through my assurance. I do intend to leave, I just don't want to acknowledge it, maybe not even to myself. Philosophers tend to break down the concept of intentions into beliefs about a specific situations and desires as to a specific course of action. The intention "to fetch the umbrella" (what a classic!) is translatable into "I believe it is raining and I desire not to get wet". For much it is worth, this way of putting it does not say very much, and at worse it may lead to a lot of confusion (what, exactly, is "belief" here? a silent conviction?).

What about intentions in politics and war? Medvedev tells the press that Russia does not intend to engage in a full-scale war in Georgia. They are simply carrying out "peace enforcement". What does he mean? My suspicion: He wants to describe the killing of 1.600 people as the keeping of "peace" in the area, a way of justifying death and destruction. "We intend to do what is good." "We have good intentions." Peace is war, war is peace. Go read Hardt and Negri: Multitude.

No comments: