14 January 2008

Lived in bars




Whisky bar is a small venue next to the Orthodox church. When you get into the pub, watch out for the steps, especially if you already have a couple of drinks in your belly. A few years ago, my friend and I came there all the time, usually at odd days. Sunday nights, tuesdays. We were madly in love with the place. All kinds of people hang out there, and that's one of the reasons I like the place so much. There's heavy metal people, students, girls who want to look pretty, boys who want to look pretty, nice folks, middle-aged couples, elderly ladies who go there to enjoy a nice glass of whisky. My friend and I always wasted our money on the shitty jukebox. We listened to the same things every time; Elvis, the Doors, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, David Bowie, Bob Marley. Without an Ozzy Osbourne song the night wasn't complete. We drank bad whisky - "whisky of the week". 3 euros. One time we were drinking tequila all night. My friend puked in a bush outside of the place and I humbly suffered my personal punishment the following day. Another time a guy was trying to convince my friend that they were made for each other and that they, at least, should spend the night together. I got a little bit annoyed. The guy asks me: "Do you intend to take her home?" I answer, sarcastically: "Yeah" and he wants to shake my hand as if to say: "That's all right, buddy, I understand". Afterwards, I realized that by shaking his hand I got myself dragged into a macho-pig ritual.



Yesterday, I talked my friend S into having a drink at Whisky bar. She had been a little suspicious of the place, as she was convinced that motorcycle gangs (or something) were in charge of it, that there would be brawls. But of course she felt at home there immediately. Whisky bar is a friendly place. We met a middle-aged couple who bought us expensive whisky. Something about them made them glow - they were in love and were satisfied with their lives, with each other and with their jobs (they build houses for a living). Their faces were cracked up in big smiles. We talked about language(s), philosophy and music. A lot of jokes were cracked and anectodes were told ("men kära barn, vi är ju i Stockholm!"). We had a great time.

No comments: