14 September 2007

Scenes

1. At the library. Going through the borrowing transaction with the librarian, whom I don't really know. She informs me that the library has decided to extend the number of times a library loan can be renewed. I grin happily, she smiles back just as happily and says that this will ease workload for everyone. Explanation: I waste half my paycheck on stupid overdue bills and even though I feel bad about it I don't get less absent-minded. - The charm of the situation consisted in the way my reaction was responded to by a mirroring reaction conveying a very mundane sort of happiness. The happiness of practicalities, of how things work out in the end.

2. Buying computers. My new acquaintance B warns me about nervy shop assistants, young men half-crazed in their attempts to appear reassured and manly. His warning is justified, of course. I stagger into the shop, packed with beasts, and when finally addressed by the shop assistant, I stammer forth my business. He mumbles something clearly with the intention of making me seem like an idiot. I was not really up for that, so I left. Well, what can I say. The tension among the men (there were no women present) in that computer store was comparable to a particular sexist representation of the 19th century lady - 'hysteria'. Fear and loathing.

3. I am told: "there is no nursing trait in you whatsoever."

No comments: