17 November 2007

More southern gothic

In Nordic countries, jobs for philosophers are not really growing on trees. I talk about jobs where you are employed for more than a few months at a time. I've heard that a lot of colleges and universities all over USA appoint philosophers. Think about it, perhaps that would be an option for me: I'll live somewhere in Montana or Kentucky, teaching courses on applied ethics. Am I cynical? Not really.

Lately, I've been writing about Harmony Korine and plays by Tennessee Williams. My own little southern gothic village. Yesterday I watched The Night of the Iguana, yet another film bassed on a play by Williams. Good movie - Ava Gardner was great. Great atmospheres.

All in all, I seem to be destined for ghostly towns and villages - my destiny is sealed.

If you haven't yet, you should explore the haunted musical landscape created by artists such as 16 horsepower (Woven hand), Lucinda Williams, Jim White, Songs; Ohia (Jason Molina) and The Handsome family. While 16 horsepower has become quite widely known even in Nordic countries, The Handsome family and Songs; Ohia are lesser known. Picking and choosing from the ouvre of Songs; Ohia I would recommend the album The Lioness and what The Handsome family is concerned their 2003 production Singing bones is my so far favorite. The latter artist creates music that revolves around the cheesy, the twangy and the ghostly - in that respect, they share something with Brittish artist Richard Hawley, whom I also have a fondness for.

No comments: