29 January 2010

the super-duper limited edition

I'm completely at ease with downloading music. I don't need the material stuff that those mb:s are packaged in, I just want the music. I subscribe to the newsletter of indie/experimental music online record shop Boomkat because what they recommend tend to be music I am interested in. But what always baffles me about these newsletters are the glossy descriptions of packages and the emphasis on how tiny-tiny-tiny each edition is. I don't get it. Hand-painted postcards, modified microfilm boxes, bags, handmade sleeves - and only 100 copies so get yours now! These newsletters are often helpful in making me aware of new artists and exciting new releases but my god all that authenticity crap. My problem is not really the hand-painted postcards or whatever but more the tone in which these products are presented and merchandized. "Another strictly limited pressing." So what do these guys try to sell, really? Some goodies that will make your little elitist heart throb with gladness, so glad to have a strictly unique taste in music, handpainted postcards and all? I mean, why on earth are some editions of records "individually numbered"? You've just received copy nr. 18, oh the joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wiwjzasawlhvlaqu- nail fungus treatment, KCcaOPm!