17 June 2008

Viking Line & psychoanalysis

I keep dreaming about Viking Line. I walk around, I sit in the café, I drink beer. Nothing happens, everything is ugly and time has stopped. I am with new people every time, but everything happens against the backdrop of dread and endless boredom. As I really detest being on board on the Viking Line armada, and as I always feel physically ill (not only due to drinking) when I have experienced a Viking Line adventure, there has to be some deeper level of readings of these dreams. There has to be something that these dreams tell me. The psychoanalytic-marxist reading circle that R & I have gloriously founded will help me grapple with this hard-to-penetrate mystery. Here are some suggestions:

1. I secretly want to go on a Viking Line cruise, and I am just waiting for an excuse to go. For some reason, I am unable to acknowledge this desire on a conscious level, so the dream is a safe outlet for it. The dream tells me that I have to overcome these feelings of dread and boredom by - going on a cruise. The cruise is, I guess, an existential journey; an ordeal in the Kierkegaardian sense.

2. I secretly want to work at Viking Line, just like my sister. This might, in fact, carry with it other ways, in which I secretly envy my sister.

3. Even though I, on a consious level, would deny it, I am an Åland extremist who want to move back to the isles of gold & myrrh to carry the flag of Julius Sundblom and Carl Björkman. In fact, I want to dedicate my life to writing historical accounts of the splendid past of the Åland people (who is One, weren't it for some guiling traitors). In fact, I want to set up a play about the Crimean war and the dramatic turns that took place at the Åland islands. I want to throw in a love story involving a Russian soldier & a plain, industrious farmer's daughter.

4. My dream reveal a repressed resent: I have deserted the ship building industry for more abstract academic interests. I am, would I only acknowledge it consciously, more interested in business than in academia.

5. A Viking Line ship stands for the emptiness of desire and the way desire and language are trapped in the Symbolic Order. Being on a Viking Line cruise yields the interpretation that one's desires are aimed at an unreachable objective - because no objective would fulfill them. Viking Line, in the context of my dream (and otherwise, too), points towards the emptiness and the eternal instability of the signifier. "A cruise", in fact, signifies that one has the impression of having travelled but the travelling is an ontological fraud, a going-nowhere, a play of imagination. A fundamental Lack is the deeper meaning of the logo of Viking Line: desire will always revolve around fundamental Lack: the ideology of a cruise ship is, as it were, a manifestation of this principle. The anxiety of the dream hints at this. To sum up, my Viking Line dream shows in what way "the Real resists symbolization".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should read something about ship accidents. Titanic, Jan Heweliusz etc. I think it will have interesting and unforeseen subconscious effects.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.